Essay is 20% of your Exam grade.
Essay will be written in class without any notes or books from memory. Select only one topic to write on.
1. Explain the composition and the function of Congress.
Make sure you address at least the following points.
- State the parts of Congress, Members, Leadership positions
- How many members of each part, their election cycle
- How each of the members became Representatives, formal requirements and your informal requirements
- What are the Committees of Congress and what purpose do they serve? Who are the Chairs of the committees? What powers does the committee have?
- What do you think about the way in which congress operates?
- Is the way congress works efficient? Support your opinion with evidence.
- Is it effective? Support your opinion with evidence.
2. Create a Fake bill as if you were a member of the House of Representatives
( like my No school on Friday Bill, but don’t use my example)
Once you create that bill, explain the process of introducing the bill and how it becomes a law. Be sure to include the points below. Assume that the bill makes it through each of the committees in each chamber and will go to the President.
- Give your bill a title and describe the intention of your bill
- How does this bill first start out ?
- What are the processes that the bill goes through
- Once in Committee what are the possible recommendations that each committee can make.
- Once out of the Standing Committees, what does the House Rules Committee do with the bill?
- Which calendar would your bill be placed on and why?
- After it is debated about on the floor, what four ways can the members vote on the bill?
- Was there a conference committee necessary? (explain why or why not)
- What are the options that the President has once it makes it to his desk. (Hint: There are 4 options)
Terms and Topics to know for the Exam